Dr Claude saves Sam the Carpet Python - 13th June 2010
Sam the Carpet Python was taken to the Samford Valley Vet Clinic after being badly mauled by a dog. The Australia Zoo Rescue Unit was contacted to transfer Sam to the Australian Wildlife Hospital at Australia Zoo for specialist veterinary treatment and care.
Sam had suffered deep punctures over her head and along the entire length of her 4.7 kg body. As she lay writhing in pain on the ground her mouth and wounds became plastered in dirt.
On assessment Dr Claude had to first sedate Sam so she could remove all the dirt from her mouth and place an anaesthetic breathing tube down her trachea. The deep puncture wounds were cleaned and sutured. Sam's head was badly swollen and she had substantial deep muscle damage. Dr Claude prescribed strong pain relief, anti inflammatories and antibiotics to ward off any infection that could be caused by transferred bacteria from the dog's teeth.
Sam will have her stitches removed in four weeks. She will then be transferred to a reptile carer for monitoring until she has her next skin shed. If Dr Claude is happy with her recovery she will be sent out for release. If her injuries have not healed, Sam will remain with a carer until her second shed.
Reptiles feel pain just like we do. Sadly, they don't have vocal cords to cry or scream out, so they suffer in silence. Most wild animals will not make a make a fuss when sick or injured, as it will draw the attention of a predator. Instead they sit quietly. Always remember, if the injury would be painful for a human, it is also painful for an animal, so please seek medical attention.
Call the Australian Wildlife Hospital on 1300 369 652 for all wildlife emergencies.
Patient of the Week Archive
24 Hour Wildlife Emergency Phone: 1300 369 652
Rescue vehicles and staff are on call seven days a week. Please don’t let wildlife suffer – give us a call, we'll take care of it!