Have a go at this! Australia Zoo is the only Zoo in the world where you can get up close with a Komodo Dragon!
Komodo's are the largest species of lizard, growing to lengths of over 3 metres and weighing up to 100kg!
You can hang out with this amazing endangered species during our Colossal Komodo experience and a professional photographer will capture the moment. Wooo-hoo!
Timing and Days
- One encounter is held per day.
- Komodo encounters are held 7 days of the week.
- Komodo encounters are held from 11.15am-11.35am.
- One professional Australia Zoo photographer to capture the moment.
- One 8"x6" photo & one 4"x6" photo included.
Price & Guest Limit
- $200AUD single or $300AUD couple. (excludes entry to Australia Zoo.)
- Maximum of two participants per encounter.
- Bookings can be made in advance through the Tour Desk at Australia Zoo on (07) 5436 2002 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 50% of the total amount is a non-refundable deposit and will be taken at the time of the booking.
- Bookings can be made on the same day if available.
- For further information or to make a booking please contact Guest Services on (07) 5436 2002.
- Cost of encounter does not include entry to Australia Zoo. Entry can be paid prior to the day or purchased at the gate on arrival.
Terms and Conditions
- Komodo Encounters are available to participants who are 15 years of age and above only.
- Enclosed shoes and long shorts/pants must be worn during the encounter.
- All participants must agree to follow all instructions given by the handlers at all times.
- Participants must be fit and healthy and must have full motor skill capacity (no wheelchairs or walking aides).
- For the safety of our guests, all participants must be able to squat/kneel down and stand back up quickly without assistance and be able to understand and follow all instructions given by handlers. If any of the participants arrive and cannot display this, the encounter will not go ahead.
- Participants may be asked to cease the encounter at any time for whatever reason at the handler's discretion.
- Please ensure that your hands are clean prior to beginning the encounter.
- No personal items or food are permitted during the encounter with the exception of still cameras.
- The Komodo Dragon can be patted on the back only; please do not touch their heads, faces or any other body parts.
- Australia Zoo does not take any responsibility for any injuries that are received. First Aid will be called if required.
- An Australia Zoo photographer will be present during the encounter to capture the action. All photos will be available for viewing and purchase from the Fuji Photography lab.
- 50% of the total amount is a non-refundable deposit and must be received on booking (Credit Card/Money Order).
- The Komodo Encounter is subject to weather conditions. The encounter may be rescheduled for later that day or the next available date, at the handler's discretion or a refund given.
« Return to Animal Encounters
Animal Encounter Enquiry Form
We need your name, email address, which Encounter you're interested in, and anything else you can tell us about your trip to Australia Zoo! If you know what day you're coming, and your preferred Encounter is available, we'll contact you to confirm the booking, or we can give you details of alternative available Encounters.