Book This Encounter
My Animal Encounter
By Nicole Nielsen, from Queensland
My mother, my two children and I had the most profound experience thanks to Australia Zoo. It's been my mother's lifelong dream to go to Africa to experience the wildlife. Then all of a sudden, life got in the way, and Mum's dream got pushed aside and new dreams realised. That's where Australia Zoo comes into it. Mum won a raffle of 2 x Adult tickets to meet the adorable baby Rhino, Savannah. My mother is now too old and ill to travel to Africa, so instead, one amazing, brave, passionate woman - Terri Irwin - and Australia Zoo brought Africa to my mother! To see my mum reach out and pat a baby Rhino at Australia Zoo, was, for me the completing of a circle. No words can describe the feelings I felt seeing my mother realising one of her lifelong dreams.
We patted a baby Rhino! I am still gobsmacked and amazed that I can say that. It brings a smile every time. I'm not even going to begin on what it meant for me to have my children experience that at such young ages. Thanks for making this experience possible, and letting me share in my mother's dream.
What a ripper! Get face-to-face with a two-tonne rhino in this rare, once in a lifetime encounter.
You may even get to give an amazing White Rhino a little scratch and pat in our behind-the-scenes paddocks right here at Australia Zoo while you chat to the keepers and learn all about this awesome endangered species.
Timing and Days
- One Rhino encounter is held daily.
- Encounters run from 2.15pm - 2.40pm. Participants must meet at the Information and Tour Desk 10 minutes prior to encounter.
Price and Guest Limit
- $80 per person (does not include admission). Admission can be paid on arrival at the Zoo.
- All children 14 years and under must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- Maximum of 6 people per encounter.
- Bookings can be made at the Information & Tour Desk by 1.45pm on the day of the encounter or can be made in advance by calling (07) 5436 2002 or emailing via our contact form.
- Includes one Australia Zoo gift per person.
Terms and Conditions
- There is no age restriction on the Rhino encounter however, all children 14yrs and under must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- Sensible footwear must be worn during the encounter.
- All participants must agree to follow instructions given by the handlers at all times. Participants may be asked to cease the encounter at any time at the handler’s discretion.
- Please ensure that your hands are clean prior to the encounter.
- No personal items are permitted into encounter area during the encounter with the exception of cameras.
- Daily interaction with the Rhino may vary.
- Australia Zoo does not take any responsibility for any injuries that are received. First Aid will be called if required.
- An Australia Zoo photographer will be present during the encounter to capture the action. Photos will be available for viewing and purchase from the Fujifilm photography lab 30 minutes after the encounter has taken place. Price includes one Australia Zoo gift per person.
- The Rhino Encounter may be cancelled if weather is bad and a refund given.
- Australia Zoo reserves the right to cancel the encounter due to an animal welfare or staffing issue. A full refund will be issued. We will endeavour to contact pre-booked guests before they arrive at the zoo if this should happen.
Animal Encounter Enquiry Form
We need your name, email address, which Encounter you're interested in, and anything else you can tell us about your trip to Australia Zoo! If you know what day you're coming, and your preferred Encounter is available, we'll contact you to confirm the booking, or we can give you details of alternative available Encounters.