Saturday 15 November 2008
Crikey! The countdown has begun for Steve Irwin Day on November 15 - an international and annual event to celebrate the extraordinary life of the one and only Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. The day will represent the many things Steve was passionate about: FAMILY, WILDLIFE CONSERVATION and FUN.
Steve Irwin Day is also a day where people around the world join together to raise money for Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors to help continue Steve's conservation work and the preservation of wildlife and wild places.
What's on at Australia Zoo?
There will be STACKS of fun and activities on Steve Irwin Day, all focused on celebrating and remembering the life of Steve Irwin!
And in true Steve-o tradition, come along dressed in your Khakis and get 10% off admission to Australia Zoo and a free gift (while stocks last). Wooo-hoo!
You're invited to our FREE BBQ breakfast, thanks to Rotary, in the Australia Zoo carpark from 6:00am until 9:30am.
The rest of the RIPPER activities in the carpark include:
- Learn how to make a worm farm
- Design a recycling bin
- Hand over your Xrays, material and eye glasses goods at the Donation Station, and learn about things that you didn't even know you could recycle
- Check out the display by the Kombi Club of Australia
Australia Zoo gates open at 8:00am.
The FUN will kick off at the Crocoseum at 10.00am with Terri Irwin and Captain Paul Watson from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society when they officially open Steve Irwin Day 2008.
All the CROCOSEUM FUN includes:
- A Bindiwear Fashion Parade
- A special performance from Bindi and the Crocmen
- The Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors show, featuring Terri Irwin and Wes Mannion feeding the CROCS!
- And a MAMMOTH performance from Australia's very own Thirsty Merc!
Check this out! Coming to Australia Zoo on Steve Irwin Day is easy when you travel free with TransLink. Pre-purchase your entry ticket to Australia Zoo from any attended QR station on the TransLink network and travel free to Australia Zoo on Saturday 15 November. * This special travel offer is valid for travel to and from Australia Zoo on Saturday 15 November (Steve Irwin Day) on QR train services when you pre-purchase your combined travel and entry ticket from any attended QR station. For terms and conditions call TransLink on 13 12 30 or visit www.translink.com.au.
CHECK THIS OUT! Terri, Bindi and Robert Irwin will be there throughout the day signing autographs!
At 1:00pm, rocking the ROCK-O-SEUM, Thirsty Merc, will be singin' up a storm with a set including some of their top chart hits like 20 Good Reasons, Hard Way and Someday Someday.
Be the first to play the new Nintendo Wii™ and DS™ Planet Rescue games: Wildlife Vet, Animal Emergency, Endangered Island, and Ocean Patrol teaching young players to save, nurture and heal endangered animals.
The celebrations will also aim to generate awareness of conservation, with fun and activities for the whole family to learn how YOU Can Make a Difference including:
- Learn how to make bird and possum boxes and check out the plant a seedling workshops, thanks to Bunnings Warehouse
- Make your MARK and paint your conservation message on a special Steve Irwin Day Kombi
- Check out the sheep shearing demonstration
And check out the Australia Zoo Conservation Cave for information and demonstrations on:
- Come on an Australia Zoo adventure and learn all about camping out at the Croc Trip
- Learn all about saving wildlife with the Australia Zoo Rescue Unit
- Save Steve's Place and learn how you can protect the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve
- Become an Australia Zoo Wildlife Warrior!
- Chat to the crew from Paul Watson's Sea Shepherd vessel, The Steve Irwin, and hear all about their adrenalin packed adventures saving whales!
PLUS get involved by:
- Learning what we feed our reptiles with Reptile Chefs
- Backing a winner with Blue Tongue Races
- Having a go at Elephant pat bingo
- Purchasing artwork painted by our very own animals!
- Learn how to attract native birds to your backyard
- Find out how important the local Birdwing Butterfly Vine is in conserving the wildlife on the Sunshine Coast
- Making donations throughout the Conservation Cave and contributing ribbons to the 'Tree of Life'
PLAN YOUR DAY
6:00am - FREE BBQ breakfast, thanks to Rotary, in the Australia Zoo carpark
8:00am - Australia Zoo gates open
10.00am - The Crocoseum show is officially opened which kicks off with Terri Irwin
1:00pm - Thirsty Merc will be ROCKING the ROCK-O-SEUM!
Want to help raise money for Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors?
People all over the world can get involved in Steve Irwin Day.
Don your Khaki's for Khaki Day - encourage your school, workplace or social group to all wear Khaki's on 15 November and raise funds for Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors Worldwide.Click here for more details and to register.
Hosting a Backyard Campout - get together with your mates and family, pitch a tent and campout in your backyard! Click here to get ideas and register your Backyard Campout here and raise funds for Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors Worldwide.
If you are the individual or group to raise the highest dollar amount and get your money in by the due date, you could win some YOU BEAUT prizes!
Australia Zoo is offering the individual who raises the most funds for Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors the opportunity to enjoy one week of adventure on the Sunshine Coast (including flights and accommodation) FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!
You will receive unlimited visits to Australia Zoo, including VIP tours and behind the scenes experiences. You may even get the chance to meet Terri and Bindi Irwin!
The group/school/corporate that raises the most funds will receive a personal visit* to your home, office or school by Terri and Bindi Irwin!
Remember - you must register - so go to www.steveirwin.org to register!
Where does the money go?
Terri Irwin has made an international plea to stop whaling, joining forces with the Oregon State University (OSU) Marine Mammal Institute to gather non-lethal biological research from Humpback Whales.
We need a total of $1.5 million for whale research for the next three years.
All money raised during Steve Irwin Day, including through the Backyard Campout, and Khaki Day will go towards Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors, to help to support Humpback Whale conservation.
Want the chance to have dinner with the Irwins*?
Terri Irwin is offering the chance for one lucky family to have dinner with the Irwin family* in the US!
The once in a lifetime opportunity is now open for bidding! Click here to check it out!
Want some other ways to help keep Steve's legacy?
- Click here to sign the online petition to 'Save Steve's Place', the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve.
- Check out unique works of art from some top Aussies as they 'Make a Difference' in the VIP Khaki Day campaign.
- Check out www.wildlifewarriors.org.au for more details.
- Adopt an Animal through Australia Zoo's program and play an important role in our ongoing fight for wildlife conservation!
- Join the Zoo Club to keep up to date on everything Australia Zoo
- Purchase an Australia Zoo Annual Membership so that you can visit any time you like, all year round!
Remember that Steve Irwin was one man. ONE man can make a difference. YOU can make a difference.