Online Employment Application
VETERINARY NURSE - LOCUM (Maternity Leave)
Department: Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital
Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital
Reports to: Senior Vet Nurses / Veterinary Services Manager
An exciting opportunity has come up for a motivated Veterinary Nurse to join the team at the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital (AZWH). The position will be for a period of 6 to 12 months with the possibility of extension.
The position is responsible for the treatment and rehabilitation of a wide range of Australian Wildlife, while providing the highest standards of Veterinary Care.
The Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital is a busy 24-hr veterinary hospital dedicated to the treatment of sick and injured wildlife. The hospital has a complete veterinary set up including surgery theatre, treatment room, radiology room, multiple intensive care units, pharmacy and pathology, as well as extensive koala and sea turtle rehabilitation facilities.
Veterinary Nurses have the primary responsibility of the cleaning, medication and care of sick, injured, and orphaned wild animals within the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital. They also assist veterinarians with diagnostics and procedures. The AZWH is functional 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is dedicated to the highest standard of animal welfare possible, therefore this position will include a wide variety of daily tasks and also varying shifts. Compassion and a commitment to conservation are an important part of this role. Nurses are required to show a high level of professionalism, commitment and dedication to their roles, which may include long hours, night-time work and weekend/public holiday work.
The successful applicant will preferably have a Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent along with a minimum of 3 years of experience. While not essential, previous experience in emergency/critical or zoo/wildlife care is desirable. This is a Fulltime position. Flexibility in schedule is desirable. Weekend and public holiday availability and own transport is essential. The AZWH is a separate entity from Australia Zoo and this position is not involved with captive zoo animals.
• Assisting veterinarians in day-to-day procedures, including anaesthesia monitoring, surgical preparation and emergency treatments.
• Cleaning, medicating and feeding of all animals in ICUs and outside enclosures, according to veterinary instructions.
• Monitoring of ICU animals.
• Maintaining high level of hygiene during cleaning and maintenance of animal enclosures.
• Preparation of food and feeding of animals in accordance with diet requirements, feeding schedules and procedures.
• Maintaining detailed animal records.
• Maintaining restricted drug book.
• Receptionist duties as required.
• Providing a high standard of customer service both for members of the public and wildlife carers.
• Providing opportunities for work experience students and volunteers to learn about Australian wildlife.
• Following AZWH procedures and protocols.
• Conducting environment and enclosure safety checks.
• Working within the guidelines of health and safety procedures to ensure animal, personal and visitor security and safety.
• Maintaining the highest standard of animal welfare.
• Committing to Australia Zoo's privacy and confidentiality policies.
Interested applicants should email a resume (no more than 5 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this job below. Applications close 4th of November 2013
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.