Online Employment Application
Experienced Zoo Keeper - Large Animals
Zoo Keeper - Large Animal Experience
Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced large animal-husbandry worker to join the team.
To be part of our team you'll need to have a positive, ‘can-do' attitude with very strong communication and teamwork skills. Must be flexible in your working hours and willing to work weekends/Public Holidays.
As a keeper you will share responsibility for all aspects of animal care, including daily cleaning and feeding regimes, upkeep of animal records and maintenance of hygiene, working to strict safety protocols and standard operation procedures. With a mission to exceed guest expectations and work towards the future, you'll also help to create magical moments for our guests to treasure by delivering great customer service and Zoo guest experiences.
At Australia Zoo, keepers continually work towards providing improved facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
This position will be specifically working with our ‘Africa' collection including but not limited to large hoofstock, carnivores and small primates.
A minimum of 2 years' experience working in the care of large animals in a similar role would be preferred. This does not necessarily have to have been with exotic species.
This is a very physical role and the successful applicant will need to have a high level of physical fitness.
• Minimum of 2yrs previous experience working hands-on with large animals gained in a zoo or other large animal environment.
• Good overall knowledge of large animal husbandry.
• High level of physical fitness.
• Committed, passionate and hard working.
• Manual vehicle licence.
• Sound knowledge of behavioural training techniques.
• Comfortable and confident in the use of simple light machinery.
• Experience in animal enclosure design.
• Experience in the use of ZIMS animal record keeping programme.
• Knowledge of plant identification.
• Confident in driving vehicles off-road.
Please note that this advertisement may be removed prior to the end date stated.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 22nd of September 2019
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.