Online Employment Application
Experienced Zoo Keeper wanted
Department: Big Cats
Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for a strongly motivated experienced Zoo Keeper who wishes to pass on their knowledge to others.
We are seeking to fill a keeping position involving general keeping with training and conditioning skills with an individual who is eager to share their knowledge by mentoring less experienced keepers and supporting current leadership roles. Development and progression of each relative section is a key role for all of our keepers and we are seeking to employ a person who has previously been within the animal care industry to provide some wider knowledge base to existing areas.
All of Australia Zoo's keeping team have the primary responsibility of ensuring the care and wellbeing of animals under their charge. Our Zoo Keepers are dedicated to conservation issues and share this passion with our guests. All keepers are also responsible for the animal exhibits, dietary requirements, maintenance, landscaping and presenting at daily demonstrations.
At Australia Zoo, our keepers continually work towards providing improved facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training along with an inclusive attitude for their team development. Strong observation, reporting and communication skills are essential for this role.
A minimum of 3 years' experience in a similar role would be preferred with evidence of experience in operant training and conditioning.
- The care and well being of animals in section including formal animal health checks
- Participate and develop training and conditioning programs for animals
- Maintain records of observations and reports on animal behaviour and/or breeding.
- Undertake cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures as required.
- Assist with the planning, development and construction of enclosures.
- Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks.
- Undertake hands on care of animals.
- Undertake animal enrichment programs.
- Provide a high level of customer service at all times.
- Undertake public speaking and/or delivery of demonstrations.
- Ensure knowledge of all relevant conservation programs Australia Zoo contributes to.
- Take responsibility for skill development and progression / training sign off.
- Work within guidelines if health and safety procedures to ensure security of animals, staff and guests
- Commitment to Australia Zoo confidentiality and privacy policies
- Participate in performance training and development reviews as requested by the company both on and off the job.
- Attend meetings as requested by your Supervisor/HOD
- Other duties as requested by your Supervisor/HOD, Curators or Zoo Director
- Understanding of efficient time management and work practices
- Encourage good team environment within and across teams.
- Form good communication skills with public.
- This position is casual with the potential to be full time further along. This will be subject to numerous factors and is not a guarantee.
Applicants must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well-presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work-ethic and initiative. A positive attitude with a willingness to assist others in developing skills is essential - previous assessor training would be advantageous.
Applicants who meet the above criteria should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this job below. Applications close 10th of February 2018
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.