Online Employment Application
Veterinary Nurse - Casual 3 month Fixed-Term Contract
Department: Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital
An exciting opportunity is available for a motivated Veterinary Nurse to join the team at the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital (AZWH) on a temporary 3 month contract. The position is responsible for the treatment and rehabilitation of a wide range of Australian Wildlife, while providing the highest standards of Veterinary Care.
This position is casual with the potential to become full time depending on performance and operational requirements.
The hospital has a complete veterinary set up including surgery theatre, treatment room, radiology room, multiple intensive care units, pharmacy and pathology, as well as extensive koala and sea turtle rehabilitation facilities, and operates 24 x 7.
- Assisting veterinarians in day-to-day procedures, including anaesthesia monitoring, surgical preparation and emergency treatments.
- Cleaning, medicating and feeding of all animals in ICUs and outside enclosures, according to veterinary instructions.
- Monitoring of ICU animals.
- Maintaining high level of hygiene during cleaning and maintenance of animal enclosures.
- Preparation of food and feeding of animals in accordance with diet requirements, feeding schedules and procedures.
- Maintaining detailed animal records.
- Maintaining restricted drug book.
- Receptionist duties as required.
- Providing a high standard of customer service both for members of the public and wildlife carers.
- Providing opportunities for work experience students and volunteers to learn about Australian wildlife.
- Following AZWH procedures and protocols.
- Conducting environment and enclosure safety checks.
- Working within the guidelines of health and safety procedures to ensure animal, personal and visitor security and safety.
- Maintaining the highest standard of animal welfare.
- Committing to Australia Zoo's privacy and confidentiality policies.
- Current Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent
- Min 3 yrs of experience as a Veterinary Nurse.
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Knowledge of animal husbandry and wildlife species natural history, including hand-raising of wildlife species.
- Knowledge of the main diet trees of koalas.
- Knowledge of emergency medicine principles, surgical preparation, ICU monitoring and anaesthesia monitoring.
- Good hygiene practices, including understanding of quarantine procedures.
- Ability to observe and report abnormal animal behaviours.
- Be able to handle wild animals in a safe and confident manner.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a large team.
- Flexibility with days/hours of work (including weekends, public holidays and school holidays)
- Excellent presentation
- Open manual driver's license
- Rabies, QFever, Tetanus vaccinations
- 1st Aid qualifications
Cert IV qualifications to be emailed with application
Please note that this ad may be removed prior to the advertised end date.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 7th of November 2018
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.