Online Employment Application
Experienced Zoo Keeper / Bird Trainer
Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Zoo Keeper with identified skills in bird training to join the team.
As a keeper, you have primary responsibility for ensuring the care and wellbeing of the animals under your attendance. You must also be understanding and sensitive to the needs of the animals under your care. This role will also require demonstrated knowledge in operant conditioning and training techniques with particular reference to birds and will hold a key role in developing segments for within our key daily show.
You are also responsible for the animals' exhibits, dietary requirements, maintenance, landscaping and presenting at daily demonstrations where applicable. Australia Zoo expects all employees to be dedicated to conservation issues and animal welfare.
At Australia Zoo, keepers continually work towards providing improved facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training along with an inclusive attitude for their team development. Strong observation and communication skills are essential.
A minimum of 3 years' experience in a similar role would be preferred with evidence of experience in operant training and conditioning.
• The care and well being of animals in section including formal animal health checks
• Participate and develop training and conditioning programs for animals (with particular reference to show elements but also husbandry conditioning and training - eg vet checks)
• Assist coaching other team members in developing their understanding of operant conditioning
• Mentor and encourage self development of team members
• Maintain records of observations and reports on animal behaviour and/or breeding.
• Undertake cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures as required.
• Assist with the planning, development and construction of enclosures.
• Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks.
• Undertake hands on care of animals.
• Undertake animal enrichment programs.
• Provide a high level of customer service at all times.
• Undertake public speaking and/or delivery of demonstrations.
• Ensure knowledge of all relevant conservation programs Australia Zoo contributes to.
• Take responsibility for skill development and progression / training sign off.
• Work within guidelines if health and safety procedures to ensure security of animals, staff and guests
• Commitment to Australia Zoo confidentiality and privacy policies
• Participate in performance training and development reviews as requested by the company both on and off the job.
• Attend meetings as requested by your Supervisor/HOD.
• Other duties as requested by your Supervisor/HOD, Curators or Zoo Director.
Applicants must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well-presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work-ethic and initiative. A positive attitude with a willingness to assist others in developing skills is ideal.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 28th of January 2018
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.