Online Employment Application
Experienced Reptile Keeper
Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Zoo Keeper to join the Reptiles department.
As a keeper, you have primary responsibility for ensuring the care and wellbeing of the animals under your attendance. You must also be understanding and sensitive to the needs of the animals under your care.
You are also responsible for the animals' exhibits, maintenance, landscaping and presenting at daily demonstrations where applicable. Australia Zoo expects all employees to be dedicated to conservation issues and animal welfare.
At Australia Zoo, keepers continually work towards providing improved facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
This position will be specifically working with a large and diverse collection of reptiles including crocodilians and venomous snakes. A minimum of 3 years' experience in a similar role would be preferred.
• Undertake cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures as required.
• Assist with the planning, development and construction of enclosures.
• Conduct animal health checks.
• Maintain records of observations and reports on animal behaviour and/or breeding.
• Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks.
• Undertake hands on care of animals.
• Undertake animal enrichment programs.
• Provide a high level of customer service at all times.
• Undertake public speaking and/or delivery of demonstrations.
• Knowledge of basic husbandry requirements.
• Ensure knowledge of all relevant conservation programs Australia Zoo contributes to.
• Take responsibility for skill development and progression / training sign off.
• Work within guidelines if health and safety procedures to ensure security of animals, staff and guests.
• Commitment to Australia Zoo confidentiality and privacy policies.
• Participate in performance training and development reviews as requested by the company both on and off the job.
• Attend meetings as requested by your Supervisor/HOD.
• Other duties as requested by your Supervisor/HOD, Curators or Zoo Director.
- Strong communication skills
- 7 day a week availability including Weekends, Public Holidays and School Holidays
- Applicants must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well-presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work-ethic and initiative
- Manual drivers licence
- Own transport essential
- Min 3 yrs in a similar role
- Handling skills in venomous snakes and reptiles including crocodiles
Please send a cover letter and resume through to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this ad may be taken down prior to end date.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 28th of January 2019
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.