Online Employment Application
Zoo Keeper - Large Carnivores
Department: Big Cats
Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for a strongly motivated Zoo Keeper who has experience working with carnivores or other large mammals.
We are seeking to fill a keeping position involving general keeping with training and conditioning skills with an individual who is eager to share their knowledge and support current leadership roles. Development and progression of each relative section is a key role for all of our keepers and we are seeking to employ a person who has previously been within the animal care industry to provide some wider knowledge base to existing areas.
All of Australia Zoo's keeping team have the primary responsibility of ensuring the care and wellbeing of animals under their charge. Our Zoo Keepers are dedicated to conservation issues and share this passion with our guests. All keepers are also responsible for the animal exhibits, dietary requirements, maintenance, landscaping and presenting at daily demonstrations.
At Australia Zoo, our keepers continually work towards providing improved facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training along with an inclusive attitude for their team development. Strong observation, reporting and communication skills are essential for this role.
• The care and wellbeing of animals in section including formal animal health checks
• Participate and develop training and conditioning programs for animals
• Preparation of food for animals including butchering and processing of meat
• Maintain records of observations and reports on animal behaviour and/or breeding
• Undertake cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures as required
• Assist with the planning, development and construction of enclosures
• Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks
• Undertake hands on care of animals
• Undertake animal enrichment programs
• Provide a high level of customer service at all times
• Undertake public speaking and/or delivery of demonstrations
• Work within guidelines if health and safety procedures to ensure security of animals, staff and guests
• Understanding of efficient time management and work practices
• Encourage good team environment within and across teams
• Form good communication skills with public
• All aspects of contact handling of tigers including "hands on" training, leash training, guest encounters and close quarters interaction
• Experience within a similar role
• Long Term Commitment
• Must be physically fit, motivated and show good communication/organisational skills
• Ability to work well as a team and unsupervised
• 7 day availability including weekends, public holidays, and school holiday periods
• Current manual drivers licence
The successful applicant must be enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well-presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work-ethic and initiative. A positive attitude with a willingness to assist others in developing skills is essential - previous assessor training would be advantageous.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 18th of August 2019
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.