Online Employment Application
Kitchen Supervisor - Full-Time
Department: Food & Beverage
Australia Zoo is looking for our next kitchen superstar in the form of a Kitchen Supervisor.
The Food & Beverage Department has recently undergone major changes both in the service delivery and appearance. Gone are the days of hectic lines and waiting - we now focus on a primarily self-serve area. The whole food court area has received a massive facelift, bringing a beautiful and sophisticated vibe to the area.
The Kitchen Supervisor's main role is to support the Head Chef and Sous Chef in the preparation and execution of all food services. This role is key in ensuring the highest of quality standards are met and all directives given by the Head Chef and Food and Beverage Operations Manager are adhered to in line with food safety and WHS principles. The Kitchen Supervisor will coach and train staff in the back of house areas to ensure continuous development and to maximise profitability through yield management and portion control and waste minimisation.
• Schedule and coordinate the work of chefs, cooks and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and within budgeted labour cost goals.
• Ensure that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
• Monitor and maintain controls to minimise food and supply waste and theft.
• Safeguard all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles and document any report any incidents or near misses
• Assist in the development of standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimise food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
• Attend food and beverage staff and management meetings.
• Consult with the Food & Beverage Operations Manager and Head Chef about food production aspects of special events being planned.
• Cook or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skilful preparation.
• Strong time management and efficiency in prioritizing essential tasks to maximise productivity and high standards of quality
• Must be able to understand the importance of high volume production, within strict time limits
• Evaluate food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
• In conjunction with F&B management team, assist in maintaining a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards.
• Maintain a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
• Provide training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff.
• Periodically visit dining outlets when open to check quality and performance of food items and staff in the absence of the Head Chef
• Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
• Perform other duties as directed.
• Provide, develop, train, and maintain a professional work force.
• Ensure all services to Australia Zoo guests are conducted in a highly professional and efficient manner.
• Ensure a safe working environment and attitude on the part of all employees in areas of responsibility.
• Conduct performance reviews in a timely manner and achieve consistent improvement with all staff.
• Ensure a high level of focus on sustainable practices and minimising negative environmental impacts during food preparation, storage and waste.
• A strong focus on product presentation.
• Food Safety Supervisor Certificate or equivalent
• Excellent time management skills
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Ability to work in high pressure situations
• The ability to work on weekends and public holidays
• Leadership experience or proven capability
What's in it for you:
• No split shifts
• Amazing work-life balance. We close at 5pm most days, so no working late nights
• A great team in a fun environment
• Staff benefits and industry discounts
Please note that this job advertisement may close prior to 24th February 2019.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 15th of March 2019
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.