Education Officer - Full Time
An exciting opportunity has arisen for someone to join our Education team in a Full Time capacity as an Education Officer!
Australia Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community – be it on the basis of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, or religious belief. We provide specific workplace programs to support diversity and equal employment opportunities for women, people with disabilities and all cultural backgrounds.
Under the direction of the Head of Department, this role entails assisting with the production and delivery of innovative and unique educational experiences with the enthusiasm and passion of the Zoo’s culture. The primary focus of this role incorporates the development, promotion and delivery of Australia Zoo’s educational experiences for school groups (i.e pre-school, primary and secondary), universities and TAFEs, as well as community-based education groups. This role also supports the delivery of our school holiday program, Zoo Keeper for a Day.
This role entails a high level of customer interaction and requires good interpersonal customer service and communication skills.
A successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work in a high performance environment with a capacity to deliver all requirements of the role, great work ethic and the ability to work to a high standard within a team.
Duties May Include –
- Follow all Australia Zoo and Education Department policies, procedures, processes and guidelines
- Facilitate and co-contribute to the on-going review and development of curriculum-based education programs for schools, universities, TAFE, day/OSH care facilities and other community education groups
- Facilitate and co-contribute to the review and development of public programs, including but not limited to Zoo Keeper For A Day
- Develop and maintain open, positive and professional relationships and communication with all Australia Zoo employees, including but not limited to AZWH & AZWW staff and keeping, education and other department staff
- Work collaboratively with all education/volunteer team members in the achievement of departmental objectives and priorities
- Liaise with keeping and other departments in the creation and implementation of animal-based activities which support education programs
- Assist as required with maintaining, managing & preparing necessary education resources & supplies for all education programs and initiatives as required
- Assist as required with research and updates to ensure all relevant Education sections on the Australia Zoo website and associated forums are correct and current and consistent across all mediums
- Maintain relevant education data bases, spreadsheets, information & booking systems etc. as required
- Collate and provide information and data as required for inclusion in business related reports
- Use relevant data bases and booking systems to follow up with bookings from schools, universities, TAFEs etc, & the general public
- Demonstrate a strong and comprehensive understanding of all education programs to ensure effective consultation with schools, universities, TAFE, other community education groups & the general public where program selection is concerned
- Actively promote & recommend education programs and relevant Australia Zoo offerings and products to schools, universities, TAFE, day/OSH care facilities, other community education groups & the general public
- Answer phone calls & respond to email, fax & personal enquiries from organisations and individuals regarding education programs and related zoo/animal information in a timely, professional and appropriate manner
- Participate in off-site programs, activities, promotions & initiatives as required
- Undertake animal handling training as required to support education program activities and general zoo activities (as required)
Essential Criteria –
- Formal education qualifications (e.g. Bachelor of Education) or significant teaching experience
- Current Blue Card (valid for employment)
- Up to date knowledge of and experience with current curriculum-based learning
- Demonstrated ability to engage a range of ages and abilities through innovative and authentic education programs
- Demonstrated capacity to manage groups using a positive behaviour approach
- Strong attention to detail & well developed problem solving abilities
- Well-developed organisational skills and ability to work within tight time frames across multiple projects
- Computer literacy, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point & the ability to learn job specific computer programs
- A high level of interpersonal skills and the ability to engage, negotiate and communicate effectively with all levels of staff and guests to ensure professional ongoing relationships and program development
- Open manual driver’s licence
- Flexibility with days/hours of work – weekend and school holiday availability will be an ongoing requirement
Preferred Criteria –
- Experience in or an understanding of primary and high school level biology/science disciplines
- Experience with delivery of inclusive and supported education programs, catering to a range of disabilities
- Current 1st Aid qualifications
- Certificate III Captive Animal qualifications, or higher
- Workplace training & assessing qualifications
Hours will be dependent on operational requirements.
Apply for this job below. Applications close Friday 25th of June 2021.
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- Your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application