Education Officer - Holiday Casual
An exciting opportunity has become available for an Education Officer to join our Education Department in a Holiday Casual Capacity!
Australia Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community – be it on the basis of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, or religious belief. We provide specific workplace programs to support diversity and equal employment opportunities for women, people with disabilities and all cultural backgrounds.
Under the direction of the Head of Department, this role entails assisting with the production and delivery of innovative and unique educational experiences with the enthusiasm and passion of the Zoo’s culture. The primary focus of this role is to support the delivery of our school holiday program, Zoo Keeper for a Day. This role may also incorporate the development, promotion and delivery of Australia Zoo’s other educational experiences for school groups (i.e pre-school, primary and secondary), universities and TAFEs, as well as community-based education groups.
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to work in a deadline-driven, high performance environment, with a capacity to deliver all educational based program presentations, sales, & administrative requirements to a high standard.
Key Responsibilities –
- Facilitate and co-contribute to the review and development of public programs, including but not limited to Zoo Keeper For A Day
- Facilitate and co-contribute to the on-going review and development of curriculum-based education programs for schools, universities, TAFE, day/after care facilities and other community education groups
- Develop and maintain open, positive and professional relationships and communication with all Australia Zoo employees, including but not limited to Zoo management, AZWH & AZWW staff and keeping, education and other department staff
- Work collaboratively with all education/volunteer team members in the achievement of departmental objectives and priorities
- Liaise with keepers and education team in the creation and implementation of animal-based activities which support education programs
- Assist as required with maintaining, managing & preparing necessary education resources & supplies for all education programs and initiatives as required
- Assist as required with research and updates to ensure all relevant Education sections on the Australia Zoo website and associated forums are correct and current and consistent across all mediums
- Use relevant data bases and booking systems to follow up with bookings from schools, universities, TAFEs etc, & the general public
- Demonstrate a strong and comprehensive understanding of all education programs to ensure effective consultation with schools, universities, TAFE, other community education groups & the general public where program selection is concerned
Essential Criteria –
- Formal education qualifications (e.g. Bachelor of Education)
- Current Blue Card (valid for employment)
- Up to date knowledge of and experience with current curriculum-based learning and demonstrated ability in presenting, workshop facilitation & public speaking
- Demonstrated capacity to manage groups using a positive behaviour approach
- Strong attention to detail & well developed problem solving abilities
- Well-developed organisational skills and ability to work within tight time frames
- Computer literacy, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point & the ability to learn job specific computer programs
- A high level of interpersonal skills and the ability to engage, negotiate and communicate effectively with all levels of staff and patrons to ensure professional ongoing relationships and program development
- 7 day availability, including weekends, school holidays and public holidays
- Proof of Coronavirus Vaccination (unless otherwise exempt)
Preferred Criteria –
- Current 1st Aid qualifications
- Experience in or an understanding of primary and high school level biology/science disciplines
- Certificate III Captive Animal qualifications, or higher
- Workplace training & assessing qualifications
- Open manual driver’s licence
Hours will be dependent on operational requirements.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 17th of November 2021.
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- Your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application