General Keeper - Birds - Full Time
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Zoo Keeper to join the Birds’ team in a Full Time capacity!
Australia Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community – be it on the basis of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, or religious belief. We provide specific workplace programs to support diversity and equal employment opportunities for women, people with disabilities and all cultural backgrounds.
With several specialised sections our dedicated Keeping teams are integral to the Australia Zoo framework and a specific bird department is responsible for the care and wellbeing of all birds, bird training and the environments in which they live. You must also be understanding and sensitive to the needs of the individuals in your care as well as presenting at daily demonstrations where applicable. As a Bird Keeper at Australia Zoo you will report directly to the Head of Department and work within an experienced bird team.
A successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to work in a high performance environment, with a capacity to deliver all requirements of the role, great work ethic and the ability to work to a high standard within a team.
Australia Zoo expects all its keepers to be dedicated to conservation issues and promote positive animal welfare. Keeping teams are encouraged to strive for continual improvement in facilities, animal care and self-development. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
Essential Criteria –
- 2-3 years of experience in a similar role, including husbandry, keeping and training experience along with the willingness to learn new animal handling techniques and follow instruction
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement an animal training plan utilising operant training and conditioning techniques. Provide video with application
- 7 day a week availability and flexibility, including weekends, public holidays and school holidays
- High level of motivation and long-term commitment
- A broad interest across avian species including, but not limited to natural history, breeding, nutrition and how this relates to a zoo environment
- Understand the principles the 5 domains model of animal welfare and how to apply it to create positive welfare in a zoo setting
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of hygiene and biosecurity (including zoonosis and containment elements)
- Willingness to offer suggestions and accept constructed feedback
- Confident at delivering multiple public demonstrations/keeper talks a day of different formats
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including being familiar with report writing, animal health and behaviour records, preferably ZIMS
- Applicants must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature minded, confident, well-presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work-ethic and initiative
- Hold current driver’s licence (manual) and own transport
General Duties –
- Commitment to the Zoo Vision and Mission statements
- Understanding and promotion of efficient time management and work practices
- Encourage a team culture of mutual respect and recognition of the business
- Commitment to all Australia Zoo policy and procedure documents
- Report writing including: training communication, incidents and daily communications
- Ensure company ethics and professional standards are adhered to at all times
- Maintain Australia Zoo’s customer service standards
- General cleaning of work areas and zoo areas
- Participate in performance training and development reviews or programs as requested by the company both on and off the job
- Attend meetings as requested by senior management (eg. TAGs and other external representation of zoo)
- Other duties as requested by curators, senior management or Zoo owners
Preferred Criteria –
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Any associated licences, training, workplace health and safety
- Leadership experience
- Animal training qualifications
Apply for this job below. Applications close Friday 14th of May 2021.
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- Your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application