Grounds Attendant – Full Time
Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Grounds Attendant within the Grounds Department!
Australia Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community – be it on the basis of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, or religious belief. We provide specific workplace programs to support diversity and equal employment opportunities for women, people with disabilities and all cultural backgrounds.
With over 500 acres of grounds, our dedicated Grounds department at Australia Zoo is primarily responsible for the development of the grounds and facilities. General Grounds Attendants are employed primarily to develop, maintain and care for grounds, gardens and plants. They are required to be multi-skilled, have a passion for Australian Fauna and may in some cases hold associated qualifications.
A successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to work in a high performance environment, with a capacity to deliver all requirements of the role, great work ethic and the ability to work to a high standard within a team
Key Responsibilities –
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Mowing and Whipper-snipper use.
- Weeding and pruning.
- Watering / irrigation.
- Planting and general gardening.
- Operation and general maintenance of machinery.
- Assisting with nursery operations.
- Maintain records of observations and reports on stock levels and maintenance logs.
- Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks where appropriate.
- Communicate with Supervisor regarding ideas to apply to section, and problems occurring within the section.
- Be competent in all aspects of Zoo emergency responses.
- Maintain correct cleaning procedures for all enclosures/areas assigned.
- Maintain relevant vehicles and trailers.
- Tend to gardens and grounds throughout Australia Zoo in both FOH and BOH areas and along all access roads.
- Assist with the planning, development, design and construction of animal enclosures.
- Provide a high standard of customer service.
Essential Criteria –
This position requires:
- Availability to work weekends, public holidays, and school holiday periods.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Satisfactory & suitable level of fitness & wellbeing to safely perform the duties.
- Knowledge and passion for Native Fauna.
- Previous grounds/maintenance experience.
- Experience operating machinery, such as 4WD’s and other vehicles.
- Hold current Manual Driver’s Licence.
- Available to work weekends, public holidays, and school holiday periods.
Preferred Criteria –
- Current 1st Aid qualifications.
- Any other relevant certificates/licenses.
- Cert III or higher in Horticulture/Land Management.
Apply for this job below.
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have e.g. First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- Your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application