Reptiles Keeper - Full Time
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Zoo Keeper to join the reptiles’ team in a Full Time Capacity (40 hours per week)
Australia Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community – be it on the basis of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, or religious belief. We provide specific workplace programs to support diversity and equal employment opportunities for women, people with disabilities and all cultural backgrounds.
With over 500 acres of land and buildings, our dedicated Keeping departments and Australia Zoo is primarily responsible for the care of reptilian residences. Reptiles Keepers at Australia Zoo report directly to the Curator of Reptiles and Amphibians and work alongside an experienced reptile’s crew.
A successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to work in a high performance environment, with a capacity to deliver all requirements of the role, great work ethic and the ability to work to a high standard within a team
As a keeper, you have primary responsibility for ensuring the care and well-being of the animals in your care. You must also be understanding and sensitive to the needs of the animals in your care.
You are also responsible for the animals’ exhibits, maintenance, landscaping and presenting at daily demonstrations where applicable. Australia Zoo expects all its keepers to be dedicated to conservation issues and animal welfare.
At Australia Zoo, keepers continually work towards providing improved facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
- Undertake cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures as required.
- Assist with the planning, development and construction of enclosures.
- Must communicate well with others and effectively share information as required.
- Conduct animal health checks.
- Prepare food and conduct feeding of the animals in your care in accordance with dietary requirements, feeding schedules and procedures.
- Maintain records of observations and reports on animal behaviour and/or breeding.
- Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks.
- Undertake hands on care of animals.
- Undertake animal enrichment programs.
- Provide a high level of customer service at all times.
- Undertake public speaking and/or delivery of demonstrations.
- Knowledge of husbandry requirements.
- Ensure knowledge of all relevant conservation programs Australia Zoo contributes to.
- Take responsibility for skill development and progression / training sign off.
- Work within guidelines of health and safety procedures to ensure security and safety of animals, staff and guests.
- Have an understanding of all aspects of emergency responses ie: fire, dangerous animal escape procedures.
- Have an understanding of the location and use fire extinguishers and all safety equipment within the facility.
- Commitment to Australia Zoo confidentiality and privacy policies.
- Must represent Australia Zoo to the highest standard at all times.
- Have an understanding of WH&S Standards.
- Participate in performance training and development reviews as requested by the company both on and off the job.
- Attend meetings as requested by your Supervisor/HOD.
- Other duties as requested by your Supervisor/HOD, Curators or Zoo Director.
- Experience and Knowledge of the wider reptile species.
- 7 day a week availability, including weekends, public holidays and school holidays.
- Applicants must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature minded, confident, well-presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work-ethic and initiative.
- Strong communication skills
- Current First Aid and CPR Certificate.
- Any associated licenses; training, workplace health and safety.
- Current Manual Driver’s Licence.
- Experience in a similar role.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 26th of January 2021.
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- Your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application