Khaki Extreme Program (Age 12 – 16)
$99 per person
ZOO KEEPER FOR A DAY: Go wild with an extreme zoo keeping experience!
The Khaki Extreme program is a wild, behind-the-scenes zoo keeping adventure like no other! The program offers the chance for 12 – 16 year olds to see first-hand what’s involved in looking after the amazing array of wildlife that call Australia Zoo home.
You’ll go behind-the-scenes to special wildlife enclosures so you can experience real zoo keeper life. You’ll gain an understanding and appreciation of what’s involved in working in one of the world’s most renowned zoological and conservation facilities, and you’ll love getting up close with the awesome animals. Don’t forget, with so much action involved, be sure to bring along some snacks to keep up your energy for the day.
Whether it’s helping keepers prepare diets for the animals, cleaning enclosures for mega fauna, or making enrichments activities for Australia Zoo’s wildlife – you’ll have a chance to get involved at a grass roots level.
After a busy morning getting up close with wildlife, budding zoo keepers can enjoy a specially provided lunch while they watch the jaw-snapping action of the Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors show in the world-famous Crocoseum.
You’ll also receive a guided behind-the-scenes tour of the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital, the largest purpose-built facility of its kind in the world. Here you’ll see the dedicated veterinary team treating sick and injured native wildlife, and you’ll learn what you can do to protect Australia’s native fauna.
Every season is different and so is our Zoo Keeper for a Day Khaki Extreme program! We’ll change the animals and activities each school holiday period to keep it exciting, but with so many great animals on offer, the Khaki Extreme program is always a bunch of fun.
If reptiles are more your thing, check our Zoo Keeper for a Day Khaki Extreme Reptile program. Here you’ll have a wild day out with some of Australia Zoo’s most scaly and slippery friends. This program may not be available every school holiday period and program dates will be limited. Check the bookings page for further details on availability.
- Participant entry to Australia Zoo (for program duration).
- Exclusive guided Zoo Keeper for a Day Khaki Extreme adventure and activities program.
- Lunch – Select a Zoo Keeper for a Day lunch option when you book online or over the phone.
- Exclusive Khaki Extreme Hat.
- Exclusive Khaki Extreme Water Bottle.
- Personal photograph with one of our amazing animals.
- Arrival Time : 8.30am for program sign in.
- Program Time: 8.45am – 2pm.
- Ages: 12 – 16 years.
What to Bring
- Please wear closed in shoes. You won’t be able to participate if you do not have closed in shoes.
- Camera or phone with camera (optional).
- It’s going to be a busy day, so be sure to bring along some extra snacks for extra energy (lunch and a light morning tea is provided).
- Any medications required or potentially required by participant.
- Please provide detailed information when booking online and to leaders on the day of program.
Past Program Activities
- Behind-the-scenes tour of the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital.
- Behind-the-scenes access to our food preparation areas.
- Learning how the experts work with and condition our amazing birds – getting the inside scoop on working with the feathered stars of our Steve Irwin Wildlife Warriors Show.
- See first-hand demonstration of a training and conditioning session with some of our beautiful animals.
- Cleaning the enclosures of some our mega fauna, like rhino and giraffe.
- Cleaning the enclosures of the super cute, bushy tailed red pandas and watching them find the treats you’ve left for them.
- Meeting and feeding our cheeky little lemurs.
- Making exciting and interactive ‘toys’ for our tigers! Then watching as our tigers play, pull apart these awesome toys – made by you!
- Meeting and feeding our giant giraffe and rhino.
- Talking to a Reptile Keeper about caring for our salt water crocodiles, alligators and snakes.
- Meet our beautiful dingoes or pat a koala.
- The list goes on and on and on…….