Have a go at this! Australia Zoo is the only Zoo in Queensland where you can get up close with a Komodo Dragon!
Komodo's are the largest species of lizard, growing to lengths of over 3 metres and weighing up to 100kg!
You can hang out with this amazing endangered species during our Colossal Komodo experience and a professional photographer will capture the moment. Woo-hoo!
Timing and Days
- One encounter is held per day.
- Komodo encounters are held 7 days of the week if booked.
- Komodo encounters run from 11.00am-11.20am.
- One professional Australia Zoo photographer to capture the moment.
- One 8"x6" photo & one 4"x6" photo included.
Price & Guest Limit
- $120.00 AUD per person. (excludes entry to Australia Zoo.)
- Maximum of two participants per encounter.
- Bookings can be made in advance online or through the Tour Desk at Australia Zoo on (07) 5436 2002 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bookings can be made on the same day if available.
- For further information or to make a booking please contact Guest Services on (07) 5436 2002.
- Cost of encounter does not include entry to Australia Zoo. Entry can be pre-paid or purchased at the gate on arrival.
Terms and Conditions
Colossal Komodo Terms and Conditions
1. Colossal Komodo Animal Encounters are available to Participants who are 15 years of age and above only.
2. Enclosed and flat suitable footwear must be worn during the encounter. Shoes that have been recently worn around grazing animals (eg. horse boots) are not allowed.
3. Pants should be at least knee length or longer. NO short shorts, skirts or dresses allowed.
4. No strong scents, perfumes or sound generating accessories (bells, bracelets/bangles,etc) which could have an impact on our animals may be worn during the encounter.
5. Participants must be fit and healthy, have full motor skill capacity and must be able to squat/kneel down and stand up quickly without assistance. If any Participants arrive and cannot display this, they will not be permitted on the encounter.
Generic Terms and Conditions - applicable to ALL encounters
1. Entry to Australia Zoo is not included. Valid entry is compulsory for all encounters.
2. All Participants, including children, must follow all instructions given by the handlers. Each Participant must be able to understand English or have a paying, participating interpreter with them.
3. Australia Zoo reserves the right to refuse any person to participate in the Animal Encounter for health, safety or other reasons. Participants may be asked to cease the encounter at any time for whatever reason at the handler's discretion.
4. Some encounters may require special assistance to provide access to Wheelchair bound guests. Staff must be informed of mobility issues when booking the encounter.
5. Animal Encounters are subject to weather. Please be aware that the encounter may need to be cancelled if bad weather occurs before or during the session. The encounter will be rescheduled for the next available date, at the Zoo's discretion.
6. All encounters are subject to change without notice. If the encounter is cancelled by Australia Zoo, you will have the option to receive a full refund or reschedule to another encounter time or day.
7. Cancellation within 48hrs of the Session shall result in forfeiture of 50% of the full payment. If the Participant does not attend or is late to the experience the fee will NOT be refunded.
8. No personal items or food are permitted on the encounter, this includes camera's and backpacks. In some circumstances, a phone or small camera will be allowed.
9. Please remember that all animals are capable of exercising their natural instincts. Do not under any circumstances attempt to roughly handle the animal. Contact with animals will be under the handlers direction - please do not touch animal's head, face or any other body parts unless directed to by the animal handler.
10. All interaction will be instigated by the animals. The behaviour of the animals or the outcome/level of interaction is not guaranteed under any circumstances.
11. Australia Zoo does not take any responsibility for any injuries, howsoever received whether it be as a result of the Animal Encounter, travelling to, or being in, the enclosure in which the animal is housed.
12. The food we feed to our animals may contain nuts, eggs, fruit, seafood, raw meat and other food products. Please ensure any allergies are discussed with staff prior to the encounter being undertaken.
13. Participants must be aware that they may be filmed during experiences for media purposes.
14. The Participant consents to the publication and/or use in any media whatsoever of their name, image, voice statements or otherwise, without payment of compensation.
15. This experience is an "Animal Encounter" for the purposes of the Waiver, Indemnity and Release attached.
16. The Participant acknowledges and agrees that the attached Waiver, Acknowledgement, Indemnity and Release forms part of this document.
« Return to Animal Encounters
Animal Encounter Enquiry Form
We need your name, email address, which Encounter you're interested in, and anything else you can tell us about your trip to Australia Zoo! If you know what day you're coming, and your preferred Encounter is available, we'll contact you to confirm the booking, or we can give you details of alternative available Encounters.